2016 Filmmaker Agreement and Contract
Film screening times and dates of films are at the discretion of the Crested Butte Film Festival (CBFF), September 29 - October 2, 2016.
All accepted films will be screened at least once during the festival; most films will screen twice.
CBFF also reserves the right to screen the film in the two weeks prior to the festival to promote the event.
CBFF may also screen the film one other time at another promotional, "Best of the Fest" or educational event.
Filmmaker agrees to allow CBFF to show segments (60 seconds or less) of film for festival promotional purposes.
The filmmaker is responsible for providing the festival with a digital Exhibition File and/or Copy by July 15, 2016.
TECH REQUIREMENTS FOR SUBMITTING YOUR FILM FOR EXHIBITION
- a DCP copy of your film
- 3 physical copies: 2 Blu-Rays and 1 DVD
- a digital copy if available (see below for more information)
SHORT Films (60 mins and under)
- a digital copy of your film (see below for more information)
- please note: in the coming weeks, we may ask for a DCP copy of your film to meet our programming requirements. Thank you.
DIGITAL COPY REQUIREMENTS
FORMAT FILE TYPES:
- We do not support MPEG-1 or MPEG-2
- H.264 (Recommended)
- ProRes 422
- ProRes 422 HQ
- ProRes 4444
RESOLUTIONS AND FRAME RATES:
- Up to 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080)
- Available Frame Rates: 24, 23.98, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94 and 60
*29.97, 30, 59.94, and 60 provide the best playback experience
- Stereo right/left audio only. Our theaters do not support 5.1 surround sound
- 2-5 seconds of black at beginning and end of film (this is preferred)
- NO menus, color bars, test tones, watermarks, countdown leaders
Hard Drives with return postage* may be sent to tech director (* if you are attending the festival, we can return the drive to you in person):
Attn: Jeramiah Friesen
11231 W. 107th Ave.
Westminster, CO 80021
We recommend using a service such as transferbigfiles.com or Dropbox.com for digital delivery. Your file can be emailed to our tech director, Jeramiah Friesen at email@example.com
Every precaution will be taken to safeguard films and hard drives while they are in the possession of CBFF. However, CBFF is not responsible for any loss or damage to films, digital files, or DVDs directly or indirectly caused by any employees, volunteers, staff of CBFF or arising from damages incurred as a result of actions taken by our screening venues including but not limited to mishandling of the film or equipment malfunction.
CBFF strongly recommends the filmmaker obtain the necessary insurance coverage to protect him or her in the event of damage to, loss of, or theft of, the film or hard drive.
PRESS AND PUBLICITY INFORMATION
CBFF reserves the right to use stills and/or clips from accepted films for publicity and printed materials, including on the website, social media outlets, official festival program and promotion of the festival.
In addition, crew and cast members attending CBFF should be available for print, radio, or television interviews during the festival.
FESTIVAL TRAVEL AND LODGING
If you are able to attend, more information to follow. The CBFF Hospitality manager will contact the Filmmaker or Film Representative to work out details and ensure you have a great stay.
The Filmmaker agrees to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless CBFF and its directors, officers, other employees, affiliates, sublicensees, and agents from and against all claims, losses, liabilities, demands, and defense costs (including reasonable expert’s and attorneys' fees), judgments and other expenses (collectively “Losses”) arising out of or on account of the Filmmaker’s breach or alleged breach of any of the terms, warranties, or representations of this Agreement except to the extent such Losses are caused by the breach by CBFF of its obligations under this Agreement.
This provision shall survive termination or expiration of this Agreement.
MEDIATION AND ARBITRATION
1. If a dispute arises under this Agreement, the parties agree to first try to resolve it with the help of a mutually agreed upon mediator in the following location Crested Butte, Colorado. Any costs and fees other attorney fees associated with the mediation shall be shared equally by the parties.
2. If it proves impossible to arrive at a mutually satisfactory solution through mediation, the parties agree to submit the dispute to binding arbitration at the following location Boulder or Denver, Colorado under the rules of the American Arbitration Association. Judgment upon the award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered in any court with jurisdiction to do so. This provision shall survive termination or expiration of this Agreement.
If any legal action is necessary to enforce this Agreement, the prevailing party shall be entitled to reasonable attorney fees, costs and expenses.
I hereby state that I own the copyright to the film I am representing, or have been granted the legal authority by the copyright holder to submit this film for festival exhibition, and indemnify the Crested Butte Film Festival Inc. and all its employees, contractors and volunteers of any damages relating to the copyright of the film.
This agreement embodies the entire agreement and understanding between the parties and supersedes all prior agreements and understandings relating to the subject matter. This agreement may not be modified or amended or any term or provision hereof waived or discharged except in writing signed by the parties.
I accept this invitation and understand and agree to the terms outlined above and do so by submitting my electronic signature.